It’s been a minute, but they released the IRONMAN Tulsa 2020 bike course a few weeks ago.
What’s my thoughts?
- 5100 feet of gain over 112 miles, this ain’t no picnic ride through the countryside…
- There’s 3 significant climbs, some tough spots and you finish off with 2 climbs that sandwich an uphill long ride. Be ready for some work.
- WORK THE HILL REPEATS! Build some bike strength.
- At least it’s a point to point, so you won’t get bored.
- It’s Oklahoma… you will get some wind. How much is the question.
- Make sure you are good with headwind, tailwind and cross winds – especially if you are going to consider deep aero wheels for racing.
- It could be hot… it’s the south. They have HEAT and HUMIDITY and it could pop up out of nowhere.
- Be heat adapted, especially since a lot of work for this race will happen over the winter months.
- Know your sweat rates and be practicing hitting hydration in training.
- Invest in a smart trainer. It will allow you to do the right work over the winter indoors.
- Here’s a link to the latest GPX file.
- You better be getting ready NOW! The off season started a minute ago… especially if you want to get some bike strength built up for the hills.
- Hit the ground running Jan 2020 with race specific training. This isn’t a course to be sleeping on.